6/29/2011 8:18:27 AM
6/29/2011 8:18:27 AM
City of Clive
There are no annotations on this page.
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
All rights reserved.
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
View plain text
ti <br /> RESOLUTION NO. ice, % ) -/ <br /> RESOLUTION CALLING A SPECIAL ELECTION ON <br /> THE PROPOSAL TO IMPOSE A ONE PERCENT <br /> LOCAL SALES AND SERVICES TAX <br /> WHEREAS, a need exists in the City of Clive, Iowa for a source <br /> of revenue to provide property tax relief, to provide an alterna- <br /> tive source to finance capital improvements, and to fund library <br /> and cultural institutions; and <br /> WHEREAS, Subsection 422B.1 (5) (b) of the Iowa Code provides that <br /> • "The question of the imposition of a local sales and service tax <br /> shall be submitted to the qualified electors of the incorporated <br /> and unincorporated areas of the county upon receipt by the county <br /> commissioner of elections of the motion or motions, requesting such <br /> submission, adopted by the governing body or bodies of the city or <br /> cities located within the county or of the county, for the unincor- <br /> porated areas of the county, representing at least one -half of the <br /> population of the county."; and <br /> WHEREAS, this Council desi res that the question of the imposi- <br /> tion of a local sales and service taxes be submitted to the quali- <br /> fied electors of the incorporated and unincorporated areas of Polk <br /> County; and <br /> WHEREAS, since pursuant to Subsection 422B.1(7) (a), the Cities <br /> of Des Moines, Clive, Grimes, Johnston, Pleasant Hill, Urbandale, <br /> West Des Moines and Windsor Heights are "contiguous cities ", the <br /> local sales and services tax will be imposed in these cities only <br /> if a majority of the combined vote of those voting in such contig- <br /> uous cities vote in favor of its imposition, and it will therefore <br /> be necessary to utilize the "contiguous cities" form of ballot <br /> proposition promulgated by the Iowa Secretary of State; and <br /> WHEREAS, the form of ballot for the Cities of Alleman, Altoona, <br /> Ankeny, Bondurant, Elkhart, Mitchellville and Runnells and for Polk <br /> County (for the unincorporated areas of the County) shall be the <br /> "county or single city" or "contiguous city" form of the ballot <br /> promulgated by the Secretary of State, as appropriate; and <br /> WHEREAS, said forms of ballot proposition allow each City and <br /> the County to designate within their respective jurisdiction the <br /> percent or amount of local option tax revenues to be devoted to <br /> property tax relief and the specific purposes for which the remain- <br /> der of said revenues may be used; and <br /> WHEREAS, it is the desire of this Council that the ballot ques- <br /> tion provide that the City of Clive shall devote seventy -five (75 %) <br /> of its local sales and services tax revenues to property tax relief <br /> and that the remaining twenty -five percent (25 %) of such revenues <br /> shall be devoted to library, cultural, civic, and park and rec- <br /> reational facilities, activities or services; and <br /> WHEREAS, the City has received communications which indicate <br /> • that the County and each of the other cities named above likewise <br /> desire that the ballot question applicable to each of them provide <br /> that seventy -five (75 %) of its local sales and services tax reve- <br /> nues shall be devoted to property tax relief and that the remaining <br /> twenty - five percent (25 %) of such revenues shall be devoted to <br /> library, cultural, civic, and park and recreational facilities, <br /> activities or services. <br />
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.